Monday, June 11, 2012

What's in a name?

I want to explain the meaning behind my blog name. As I've mentioned before, I've been reading IF blogs for a few years and I realized this topic has been discussed many, many times before. I doubt I have anything new or original to add to the conversation, just my perspective of how I see myself.

I am an AA baby. That is, I was raised by a father and later step-mother who are in Alcoholics Anonymous. People in AA will never refer to themselves as a former alcoholic, if they're staying sober, they consider themselves recovering alcoholics. The theory goes that you either are an alcoholic or you're not, and if you are, you always are, even if you're not drinking. So, I'm sure the analogy is pretty obvious.

I am infertile. I will always have PCOS, I will always consider myself infertile even though I've gotten pregnant and had a child. This has not cured my infertility and likely if I choose to have try for another baby, I'll be right back in the throes of infertility again. But, I cannot deny the fact that I'm not in the same place that I was before I had my daughter. So this is how I define my gray area. I am a recovering infertile. I'm not currently living the life of tests and treatments and I have a child, but it is still part of who I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment